Thank you all for the hints.
Really stupid was it not to create index on acctuniqueid.
And 'explain' is my best friend ad finem seculorum.

--
Alexander

Kostas Kalevras wrote:
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Alexander Serkin wrote:

Hello,
how many records in radacct table do you manage to keep, guys?
I see that radius stops working properly after about 150000 accounting
records in Oracle (9.2.0.4) database or ~30000 in PostgreSQL 7.4.6.
After that amount accounting records are not written into table and FR
(v1.0.1) claims about "no DB handles to use".
I see this with Oracle and Postgres. The symptoms are the same on two
different Solaris8 machines - Netra1120 with 2x440MHz processors and
SunFire V240 with 2x1GHz processors.
All recomendations about tuning are met - noatime on partitions with
DB, no detail accounting, indexes on the accounting table.
I'm fighting with that for a couple of months with no understanding
what else could be wrong.
Our DBA did some tunings on Oracle table and configuration - with no
visible results.
PostgreSQL is not tuned - just 'configure,make,make install, initdb,
createdb radius,etc'.

I 've got more than 1,000,000 rows in my radacct table (MySQL+InnoDB). The numbers you are reporting are really small, your database should be able to handle them just fine. One guess would be that your Session-Ids are not that random so the corresponding update queries have too many candidate rows (explain select is your friend to find out bottlenecks like that). Try using Acct-Unique-Id if that is the case. Do an Explain select on the queries run by the freeradius server (mainly the accounting_stop query and the simul_count query if you 've enabled it) and you should quickly find the problem.

I need to add a few notes on an alternative high performance accounting structure for freeradius in the tuning guide one of these days...

-- Alexander

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

-- Kostas Kalevras Network Operations Center [EMAIL PROTECTED] National Technical University of Athens, Greece Work Phone: +30 210 7721861 'Go back to the shadow' Gandalf