On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Bruno  Lague wrote:

Well, NR_SLOTS does not really matter if your accounting is quick enhough.
Try commenting out the ms_sleep() between the do_send() calls.

I had tried this too, and just retried again, and the rate goes down to ~30
packets/sec.
Looks like the trafic becomes quite bursty, and the retransmission pattern
causes intermittent silent periods.

For example, packet 434 is a response from RS2 to RS1, and packet 435 goes
out 14.52
seconds after it (request from RS1 to RS2). I saw 37 periods of 1-sec or
more silence,

The silence can be attributed to the backoff mechanism of radrelay.
Maybe we could sleep after we 've sent a few packets instead of sleeping after every packet.You can try to put in ms_sleep() after a few packets have been sent (say every 4-5 packets). That's a nice thing to know, thanks. I 'll put it in radrelay anyway. I also need to take a look at radclient and see if it's worth to use the same mechanism.

Note that the CPU on RS1 (running the radrelay instance that is
processing
the backlog) still takes less than 1% of CPU, with or without the above
changes.

That's normal it's an I/O bound application.

well, CPU is ~0%, and so is disk usage, and bandwidth usage. For the moment, no resource is pushed to its limit.

Well, even for 200 reqs/sec, that's ~200KB/sec for the disk and much less for the network. As for CPU, i don't think that rate can be a problem. So 0-1% is normal.

threading sound like an idea yes. Another idea is to get load-balancing
code
inside freeradius. Then you could do something like the following:
        accounting {
                loadbalance {
                        relay_detail1
                        relay_detail2
                        relay_detail3

        radrelay relay_detail1
        radrelay relay_detail2
        radrelay relay_detail3

That way you don't need to change much (apart from a few changes to the server core) and you increase the overall performance by parallelizing radrelay
and
the detail module.

Agree that would work too. I'd be glad to give it a try as soon as it's available.

Well, Alan was quite nice to provide that feature in a flash :-D, so it's available in CVS.

thanks, Bruno

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

-- Kostas Kalevras Network Operations Center [EMAIL PROTECTED] National Technical University of Athens, Greece Work Phone: +30 210 7721861 'Go back to the shadow' Gandalf