>   The default configuration of the server *IS* to authenticate against
> /etc/passwd.
>
> > What about the clients.conf and radiusd.conf?
>
>   You have to specify the IP & secret of the NAS in clients.conf.
>
> > What are the practical implications of your statement
> > regarding the difference between PAP and CHAP?  It sounds
> > a bit cryptic to the unfamiliar ear, please excuse me.
>
>   See the FAQ.
>
>   Alan DeKok.

Ok, now here is the situation:

clients.conf: I have kept it at its default settings
              client 127.0.01
              secret = testing123
              shortname = localhost

users:        Also at default with the exception of an added =
              DEFAULT Auth-Type == System
                      Fall-Through = 1

radiusd.conf: Also default except I've uncommented
              passwd = /etc/passwd
              shadow = /etc/shadow
              group = /etc/group

I am testing from the radius server (localhost) itself
using the command:

"radtest radius radius localhost 1812 testing123"

I have a user "radius" with a password "radius" in group "radius"
but I am still getting the reply:

"Auth: rlm_unix: [radius]: invalid password"

What am I missing?

Brian

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html