>> Is this correct? If it is, it would make sense to have a threaded radius
>> proxy server as the forwarding proxy - perhaps with 3000 threads
configured.
>> It would then take 3000 delayed resoponses to fill exhaust the 3000
threads.

>  Having 3000 threads waiting up to 30 seconds for a response from a
>home server is a way to kill your system.  FreeRADIUS doesn't do that.

how do you mean? do mean that large number of active threads will kill my
system? i dont see what is wrong with, say, 200 threads for proxying. That
way, if there are 50 bad requests which cause the home servers not to reply,
the other 150 from the thread pool can continue to handle requests.

hote that we intend to proxy to DIFFERENT sets of radius servers under the
control of different entities - and this is why we need to be cautious about
non-returning home servers. this is why a sequential proxy service is not a
good idea.

is it possible to have say 50 threads in 5 pools? the 5 pools corresponding
to 5 different home radius servers.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html