On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 12:05:33AM +1100, Michael Mitchell wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Stefan,

> I haven't tried linking freeRADIUS with static libraries yet, and I must
> admit I missed the "--disable-shared" in J.Ho's email. Well picked up...

> I'm guessing the problem stems from this part of the configure.in
> script, where it's checking for DH_new in -lcrypto prior to testing for
> SSL_new in -lssl:

>              # Look for the OpenSSL libraries.
>            smart_try_dir=$OPENSSL_LIB_DIR
>            FR_SMART_CHECK_LIB(crypto, DH_new)
>            if test "x$ac_cv_lib_crypto_DH_new" = "xyes"; then

It passes this OK.

>              FR_SMART_CHECK_LIB(ssl, SSL_new)
>              if test "x$ac_cv_lib_ssl_SSL_new" = "xyes"; then

and barfs on this.

> and, with this, you can just tell things are going to be messy:

>                  OPENSSL_LIBS="$OPENSSL_LIBS -lcrypto -lssl -lcrypto"

That's needed because the linker doesn't try to back-resolve
dependancies, and OpenSSL's static libraries are interdependant or
something. The config.logs will prove more enlightening.

> ;-)

> If I get some time (schedule is tight at the moment!) I'll have a play
> around with it to see if things can be improved, even just for my own
> curiosity and learning how these things work! I've got issues with the
> rlm_ldap configure script also that I'd like to finally sort out. I also
> build on Solaris 9, so maybe we can get some of these issues that seem
> to affect Solaris more than other systems sorted out...

> I'm all for trying to make life easier for future upgrades!

Keep in mind that the configure scripts have been upgraded to 2.57 in
CVS HEAD, which will be 1.1.0 sooner or later (hopefully sooner ^_^)
and this may already be fixed in CVS head.

> Oh, and I'm sure Alan wouldn't say "no" to patches if you already have
> some fixes... ;-)

I'm happy to look at patches for 1.0.2 (everyone's talking about 1.0.1
here, I'm not taking patches for _that_) to fix this, unless we already
did so between 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. But unless they're obviously safe, I'll
need a hand testing them on various interesting implementations to be
sure everything still works no worse than 1.0.2. And if we're lucky,
there won't be a pressing need for 1.0.3 before 1.1.0 ships.

--
Paul "TBBle" Hampson, on an alternate email client.