On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 12:52:52PM +1100, Mitchell, Michael J wrote:

> >  The information is in the PoD request.

> Kind of. From the NAS's perspecitive, the PoD only needs to contains the
> Acct-Session-Id. However obviously in order to proxy a request we at
> least need the NAS-IP-Address. I use this to map back to a "Realm" or a
> NAS which will ultimately handle the PoD.

> >  To ensure that bad things don't happen, the PoD *should* be
> >treated sort of like an Access-Accept, and the server should
> >see where the packet is proxied to.  IF the home server is
> >where the PoD request came from, then it's a "real" PoD
> >request, and is sent to the NAS.
> >Otherwise, it's dropped.

> I must admit, my solution is not that comprehensive, and I'm not sure if
> it would even be possible. A PoD doesn't REQUIRE a User-Name attribute,
> so it would be difficult in that instance to map a PoD back to an
> appropriate home server for the specified session (NAS-IP-Address &
> Acct-Session-Id). The only attributes that are guaranteed (in my case)
> are NAS-IP-Address and Acct-Session-Id.

> My "solution" met my needs at the time as I had very specific
> requirements, and using freeRADIUS was the quickest way to a solution,
> as freeRADIUS obviously already has all the proxy and RADIUS packet
> handling logic, and is nice and modular, so its easy to add this stuff
> quickly (even if its not the best solution).

> I also haven't tried proxying directly to a NAS. Should be easy enough
> to set this up in our test lab though.

> Alan would be disgusted at my current butcher job ;-). However, I'll
> review what I have done (it was several months ago now) and report back
> as soon as I can (may take a few days though) - hopefully with something
> a little more elegant than I have currently.

I'm also thinking about multi-level proxies... For the setup I'm using,
the NAS talks to a pool of RADIUS proxies, which talk to my RADIUS
server, which may then (based on realm) proxy to _another_ RADIUS
server. I can't talk directly to the NAS (or at least, I doubt I can) so
I can generate PoD and send them to the proxy server pool attached to
the NAS, but if the one I'm proxying to wants to PoD, then I need some
kind of reverse-realm map so I can determine where the PoD has to go, as
unlike an Access-Accept, there's no Access-Request structure sitting in
memory describing where to reply to.

In my case, the reverse map can key by either NAS-IP-Address or
Realm... I look forward to whatever you come up with. ^_^

Maybe an extension of the clients.conf? Your NAS or PoD next hop should
be in there already... ^_^

There's also _another_ NAS + proxy pool that proxies to me, but they
don't do PoD. (They have a webpage, but I've not been game to set up a
wget-of-death).

--
Paul "TBBle" Hampson, on an alternate email client.