I have Freeradius running on a Fedora Core 4 server and it has been running stable for about a week. I transistioned from Cistron, and although the process took me a bit, I was able to use the documentation, comments in the config files, and mailing list archives to find the information needed to configure, test, and run Freeradius.

The only question I am left with is when running radwho - in the 'What' column there are mostly PPP entries, which I expect. However, there are a few 'shell' entries, which I don't know if they are ok or not.

I am using PAM authentication and standard Linux accounts for users. These users are defined as nologin for thier shell so I have made a mistake somewhere in my configuration. The users themselves do not notice a difference, I am only concerned that it is a vulnerability or misconfiguration on my part. the users file in raddb only has PPP, CSLIP, and SLIP in the default hint entries, and only PAM as auth-type. Service type is Framed-User.

In reading the documentation and using google, I cannot determine what spcifically influences the entry in the 'What' column in my configuration. This could be my Freeradius configuration, my NAS (Ascend Max), or my users account definition. I just cannot determine which component is doing this.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appriciated.

David