Freeradius keeps a configurable number of open connections, called sockets in the config, which it uses to query the DB at all times. I believe it keeps these open persistently. In sql.conf...

       # number of sql connections to make to server
       num_sql_socks = 5

Chris Carver
Network Engineer

andy wrote:
On another note still related to MySQL, is there a way to enforce mysql and freeradius to make persistant connections to the database store?