Hi Alan...
        This is what I'm getting....

rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 10.66.64.41:1645, id=140, length=78
        NAS-IP-Address = 10.66.64.41
        NAS-Port = 37
        NAS-Port-Type = Async
        User-Name = "begomez"
        Calling-Station-Id = "10.66.64.35"
        User-Password = "junk"
  Processing the authorize section of radiusd.conf
  modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok for request 14
  modcall[authorize]: module "chap" returns noop for request 14
  modcall[authorize]: module "mschap" returns noop for request 14
    rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "begomez", looking up realm NULL
    rlm_realm: No such realm "NULL"
  modcall[authorize]: module "suffix" returns noop for request 14
  rlm_eap: No EAP-Message, not doing EAP
  modcall[authorize]: module "eap" returns noop for request 14
    users: Matched entry DEFAULT at line 153
  modcall[authorize]: module "files" returns ok for request 14
rlm_pap: WARNING! No "known good" password found for the user. Authentication may fail because of this.
  modcall[authorize]: module "pap" returns noop for request 14
modcall: leaving group authorize (returns ok) for request 14
  rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type System
auth: type "System"
  Processing the authenticate section of radiusd.conf
modcall: entering group authenticate for request 14
  modcall[authenticate]: module "unix" returns notfound for request 14
modcall: leaving group authenticate (returns notfound) for request 14
auth: Failed to validate the user.
Delaying request 14 for 1 seconds

I'm using the UNIX module (see below). Maybe it's a Solaris issue and not freeradius.

  unix {
                #
                #  Cache /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, and /etc/group
                #
                #  The default is to NOT cache them.
                #
                #  For FreeBSD and NetBSD, you do NOT want to enable
                #  the cache, as it's password lookups are done via a
                #  database, so set this value to 'no'.
                #
                #  Some systems (e.g. RedHat Linux with pam_pwbd) can
                #  take *seconds* to check a password, when th passwd
# file containing 1000's of entries. For those systems,
                #  you should set the cache value to 'yes', and set
                #  the locations of the 'passwd', 'shadow', and 'group'
                #  files, below.
                #
                # allowed values: {no, yes}
                cache = no

# Reload the cache every 600 seconds (10mins). 0 to disable.
                cache_reload = 600

                #
# Define the locations of the normal passwd, shadow, and
                #  group files.
                #
# 'shadow' is commented out by default, because not all
                #  systems have shadow passwords.
                #
# To force the module to use the system password functions, # instead of reading the files, leave the following entries
                #  commented out.
                #
                #  This is required for some systems, like FreeBSD,
                #  and Mac OSX.
                #
                        passwd = /export/home1/cms/passwd
                #       shadow = /etc/shadow
                #       group = /etc/group

                #
                #  The location of the "wtmp" file.
                #  This should be moved to it's own module soon.
                #
                #  The only use for 'radlast'.  If you don't use
                #  'radlast', then you can comment out this item.
                #
                radwtmp = ${logdir}/radwtmp
        }

What ya think????/

Frank
          |             |             Frank Everitt
          |             |             Systems Administrator
        :|||:         :|||:           7025 Kit Creek Rd.
       :|||||:       :|||||:          RTP, NC 27709
    ..:|||||||:.....:|||||||:....     Ph  :(919) 392-8885
                                      FAX :(469) 574-5042
          CISCO SYSTEMS               Cell:(919) 624-6098

On Nov 27, 2007, at 2:34 PM, Alan DeKok wrote:

Frank Everitt wrote:
I'm running Freeradius 1.1.6 on a Solaris 10 platform and have run
across a strange problem. My password file contains over 80 thousands
entries and it appears that freeradius won't find a user entry beyond
line 76665. Is there a buffer that can be bumped up or have I just
reached a limitation of using the UNIX style password file within radiusd?

Is the password being fetched from the "unix" module, or the "passwd"
module?  If it's "passwd", switch to "unix".  If it's "unix", then
FreeRADIUS just does 'getpwent', and it's up to the system libraries to
return the right entry.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/ users.html

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html