Wegener, Norbert wrote:
Not only I have to thank Alan for this or that hint and the great software.
Nowadays I find his answers amusing. They sound like a mantra:
Read the documentation, post the debug output, don't change too much in the
default configuration ....

What is wrong with that answer?
And knowing that one might get this kind of answer: Maybe one thinks twice and reads a bit more through the docs before posting a question. In my opinion there are worse things than thinking twice.
I know people that behave exactly this way just for that reason. And they
solved most of their problems this way.

FreeRADIUS is a project with a comprehensive documentation. Many -if not most -
of the questions on the list could be answered by reading the wiki and the rest
of the documentation. Knowing this I personally would find it hard to
impossible to answer the same questions over and over again.

Thanks Alan.

I have to FULLY agree.

Every single time someone has had a resonable request, Alan responded immediately.

Personally I did not even know what the three a's in aaa meant when I got involved with freeradius.

I got ALL the info I needed from the docs.
I configured a perfectly working solution without ONE question to this list. (A fairly complicated one - all the docs are there!!)

I started posting when I had a feature that did not quote work as exepected. (dynamic clients).

Alan even went to the trouble to commit some code to git just to help me.

I certainly cannot fault his behaviour.

I personally run about 8 technicians.
Whenever someone asks me for advice, I always ask them. "What is the exact error"?
After asking for it the 100th time, I also get rude.

You should NOT have to say the same thing over and over again!!!

--

Johan Meiring
Cape PC Services CC

-