On 09/07/2009 07:51 PM, James Duffy wrote:
Marinko

This sounds like a race will take place between the two processes if
there is no co-ordination. If (as you say) you are able to start mysqld
after radiusd then I think if you look at tail of
/var/log/radius/radius.log you will see something like:

Starting connect to MySQL server for #0
Couldn't connect socket to MySQL server r...@127.0.0.1:radius
Mysql error 'Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (61)'
Failed to connect DB handle #0
Ready to process requests.

and then messages about radiusd managing to re-aquire the db handles
later on - eg:

Trying to (re)connect unconnected handle 3..
Starting connect to MySQL server for #3
got socket 3 after skipping 0 unconnected handles

There needs to be a wait-on-mysql option for radiusd startup - surely??
What baffles me is that I'm a newbie here and surely all the veteran
users have long since flushed this problem out into the open - or does
nobody EVER use the NAS sql extensions??

Typically this is controlled via init scripts in /etc/init.d which are used to start services. init scripts from a few years back would declare their start up order. When you install software from a distribution the distribution vendor would make sure all of their scripts were ordered properly. Recently init scripts in Linux were enhanced to comply with LSB and now support finer control including what prerequisite services are required (see Required-Start).

--
John Dennis <jden...@redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/