Hi Ryan,

xdamage usage is currently disabled in the X11 shadow server subsystem
because it is not working correctly. In the vast majority of modern X11
environments, xdamage is totally useless and reports the entire screen as
being invalidated on every pixel change. This happens with compositing
window managers. It is possible to get somehow valid information from
xdamage in certain cases, like unity 2d, but even then there are many
possible bugs in xdamage that may result in incorrect information being
reported.

The current code does not require xdamage, it makes a comparison between
the last screen frame capture and the next one and encodes what has truly
changed. It is surprisingly fast. With enough effort, we could still
leverage xdamage in certain cases, but there just wasn't enough interest to
push it further.

Best regards,
-Marc-Andre