Hi Sasha,

If you use tkmedit to visualize the results, then the contrast change you saw may be just due to the display problem (not exactly a problem) of tkmedit. You can move the mouse around the image to actually see whether the image intensity values were changed or not.

I used mri_watershed a lot, and never saw it changed the original image intensity (in the brain region).

But tkmedit will adjust its display contrast according to the dynamic range of the original image. So once skull is removed, the max and min intensity values of the image are very likely to be different, and the image will then look differently in tkmedit.

-Xiao