Chacko,

The 64bit build of freesurfer will not run on a 32bit machine.  Do you
have an older version of freesurfer that might be running?  What is the
output of:

  cat $FREESURFER_HOME/build-stamp.txt

Are you sure your machine is really 32bits?  Run 'uname -m' and if the
machine is 64bits, it will say x86_64.

Nick