I assume you meant sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3

-----Original Message-----
From: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
[mailto:freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Rudolph Pienaar
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 10:04 AM
To: Ahmed, F, Me <fah...@sun.ac.za>
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] installing on ubuntu

Ahmed, F, Me <fah...@sun.ac.za> wrote:

> On Ubuntu, you will need to do the following:
> cd /usr/lib
> ln -s libtiff.so.4 libtiff.so.3

Actually, you should probably use:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 /usr/lib/lib/tiff.so.3

(it amounts to the same thing, but this way is just one line that you
can simply cut-and-paste. The system will prompt you for your password.

Also the 'ubuntu' way is to use 'sudo' for administrator-type
operations. If you just use the above, you will probably get 'Permission
denied errors').

Note that you *might* get other missing dependencies -- especially if
you are on a freshly installed ubuntu machine. They are relatively easy
to resolve using 'apt-get'

> When exactly does this need to be done? I know this probably sounds like
> a really stupid question, but I have had major issues with installing FS
> and want to make sure I know exactly what needs doing and when it needs
> to be done. So I'd really appreciate some insight. Thank you.

It doesn't matter when you do it -- either before or after you unpack
the archive. Just make sure to do it before you actually run any
FreeSurfer GUI type apps. If you forget to do it, you'll simply get an
error along the lines of 'libtiff.so.3 not found'

--
Rudolph Pienaar, M.Eng, D.Eng / email: rudo...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
MGH/MIT/HMS Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging