its a shot in the dark, but you could try updating the mac with XQuartz,
which seems to be much better for X stuff than the default X
installation.  doing so is a necessity for running freesurfer locally on
the mac:

https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/MacTksurfer

that page fixes a different issue, but its X related.

also, on the linux machine, make sure the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file has

    Load           "glx"

in the Section "Module"

n.