your solution of copying fsaverage and the EC_average dirs to your
SUBJECTS_DIR is the proper one in this case.  symlinks are used only to
save space.

this data (fsaverage and EC_average) is used only during recon-all, and
doesnt need to 'travel' with the subject data (unless you intend to
recon-all later, or perform group analysis).

you should be able to move your subject data around without a problem
(there are no other symlink except those two).

n.