this should work:

mris_convert --combinesurfs ./lh.pial ./rh.pial ./pial.gii

notice the output name has ./ in it, to override an old freesurfer-ism
of appending a default hemi.  also note that .gz is not necessary as
gzip is the freesurfer default for gifti.

however, freesurfers implementation doesnt support storing all the info
in one file.  the spec does allow this though, and there might be a way
to do it with gifti_tool (but my attempts with -infile and -write_gifti
failed).  but since the gifti file format is xml, there may a
straightforward programmatic way to combine all the independently
created gifti data files into one.  but lastly, i dont know if any of
the other gifti people have combined hemi info.

n.