it sounds like you ran out of memory. How much RAM do you have on your machine?
On Tue, 14 Feb 2012, Adam David Felton wrote:

Hello,
I have run into an error while trying to make an average subject using 200
scans.

When I ran this command I got an error:
make_average_subject --xform talairach.xfm --out 200avgsub --subjects

The error:
      Allocing output
mri_concat(40491) malloc: *** mmap(size=262144) failed (error code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region
MRIalloc(256, 256, 256): could not allocate 262144 bytes for 13726th slice

Cannot allocate memory
WARNING: could not create average segmentation for aseg ...
  ... but continuing

make_average_volume done

The average sub folder does not contain aseg.mgz and p.aseg.mgz files.

The version of Freesurfer I am using:  v 1.313.2.6 2010/08/04 15:50:56 nicks
My memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Hard-drive: 276.49 GB free
MAC OS X v 10.6.8

I have scoured the archives for the answer to my question to no avail.  All of
the answers before seemed to revolve around versions of Freesurfer which I
expect
were updated.  Nick Schmanksy wrote "sorry, i meant to say include the
--no-aseg flag with make_average_volume (make_average_subject is just a wrapper
script that
calls make_average_volume and make_average_surface)." But wouldn't this prevent
segmentation?  Is there a way to then add segmentation after?  Sorry if these are
novice questions (as I am a novice).

Thank you,

Adam