No worries about that.

I have created some manual cortical labels in freesurfer using tksurfer. The
.labels file containing the vertices of the cortical labels does not correspond
to the labels of the pial surface even though they were drawn on the pial. I
noticed however, that they do correspond to the lh.base.mgh and rh.base.mgh
file that was created with an older version of freesurfer. These files contain
coordinates and their corresponding label in the look up table. My guess is
that the base file is an intermediate surface between the white and gray. The
question is why do the vertices in the manual labels not correspond to the
those in the pial surface? Alternatively, since the lh.base.mgh and rh.base.mgh
are no longer apart of the recon-all process is there another name in to which
it is called?

The command to make the cortical label is:
mri_label2vol--label labelname.label --temp brainmask.mgz --o labelname.nii.gz
--identity --proj frac 0 1 .1 --subject subject_id --hemi lh

The command(s) to make the base file an ascii file is:
mri_annotation2label --subject # --hemi *h --seg #/surf/*h.base.mgh --outdir
junk
mris_convert -c *h.base.mgh #/surf/*h.white #/surf/*h.base.asc

Thank you,
Tina Jeon