You can do:
tkmedit subjid filled.mgz rh.orig.nofix -aux-surface lh.orig.nofix

When you downloaded FreeSurfer, you would have also received the subject
"bert" who is a good example to compare to. He will likely be located in:
$FREESURFER_HOME/subjects/bert

If you do the same command above for bert:
tkmedit bert filled.mgz rh.orig.nofix -aux-surface lh.orig.nofix

You'll see what the filled.mgz should look like.
Allison