ah, thanks -- i didn't realize the distinction.

also, i think i've figured out what was wrong.  i shouldn't sample to the
inflated surface -- i should sample to the white surface.

the call that lead to misplacement:
mri_vol2surf --mov <volumetric_mask> --regheader <subj_id> --hemi rh
--inflated --o <inflated_surface_overlay>

the call that lead to correct placement:
mri_vol2surf --mov <volumetric_mask> --regheader <subj_id> --hemi rh --surf
white --o <white_surface_overlay>

thanks a bunch for your guys' help!

alex