On the off chance that you are using a Mac - I had a similar issue
with X11 and tksurfer becoming unresponsive at the tkoInitWindow
stage. I think this is because a recent OS X update broke X11. This
update (from X11 2.5.4 to 2.6.5) fixed the problem for me:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1605

Cheers,

Johan

Dear Freesurfer experts,

I have a problem with Tksurfer. Whereas this worked previously fine it suddenly
crashes every time I try to start it. This happens with every subject or
fsaverage.

A similar problem was reported before with similar terminal output but
unfortunately I could not find a solution to this problem in the mailing list.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Ruthger Righart

Hi Michelle,

hmmm, no idea. Do you want to upload the the subject and we'll see if we can
replicate the problem? Do you have enough memory on that machine?

Bruce