Hi Irwin,
It sounds like the snapshots from tksurfer are fine, but the ones from tkmedit are not being generated properly. It may be this peculiar bug where ImageMagick has trouble reading rgb files. Try converting an rgb file to a jpg 'convert file.rgb file.jpg'. You may get the error 'Improper image header'. The tksurfer tcl script saves tiff files, the tkmedit tcl script saves rgbs, which may explain why some images are fine.
-Louis