Dear Prof Donald McLaren

I am sorry to disturb you! I have four discrete variables {factor 1(A,B),
factor 2(C,D), factor 3(G,H), and gender(M,F)} and a continuous variable (age),
I want to use the GLM to analysis the result of the interaction among  factor
1(A,B), factor 2(C,D) and factor 3(E,F) regressing out the effect of gender and
age, and I have 16 classes: MACG,MACH, MADG, MADH, MBCG, MBCH, MBDG, MBDH,
FACG,FACH, FADG, FADH, FBCG, FBCH, FBDG, FBDH, so I design the contrast is
following:
1 -1 -1 1 -1 1 1 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 -1 -1 1 -1 1 1 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

is correct? thank you very much!

look forward for your reply!

Bo Xiang

At 2012-11-21 04:07:37,"MCLAREN, Donald" <mclaren.don...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Douglas N Greve
><gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> Thanks Donald. Is this the standard way to do this? I had used 8 rows
>> instead of 4 with the difference being that 8 rows gives you an opportunity
>> to look for an effect in males OR females.
>
>Yes. Having 8 rows would tell you if you have an interaction between
>factor 1 and 2 in either males or females. My 4 rows only tell you if
>the interaction exists. Technically speaking, one would run the
>three-way interaction first. If nothing existed then you do the
>two-way interaction as I suggested. If there is a three-way
>interaction, then you would use Doug's approach of the interaction in
>either males or females.
>
>If there is an effect in both
>> males and females but the effects go in opposite directions, then the 4 row
>> implementation will resolve to 0 (no effect). Or am I misunderstanding
>> something (again:)?
>
>Nope. You are right. If the male and female effects are different,
>then they could cancel each other out. If you suspect this to be the
>case, then you should be able to demonstrate a three-way interaction.
>
>> thanks!
>> doug
>>

>> On 11/20/2012 01:50 PM, MCLAREN, Donald wrote:
>>>
>>> Bo,
>>>
>>> Doug asked me to chime in on your issue. Here are some points that you
>>> (and others) will hopefully find useful.
>>>
>>> (1) Inferences are two-step process. First, you create and estimate
>>> the design matrix. Every column in the design matrix accounts can
>>> account for some of the variance in the data. Second, you have
>>> contrasts that allow you to infer specific effects. Because the model
>>> contains your covariates, you are always controlling for the
>>> covariates and by extension any factor/covariate not in the contrast.
>>>
>>> (2) Forming contrasts is often the most difficult thing to do. I
>>> assume that your three factors (1, 2, and gender) are all
>>> between-subject factors. If one of them is a within-subject factor
>>> please let me know and disregard the rest of the email. The final
>>> F-contrast will have 4 rows (factor 1 levels-1)*(factor 2 levels
>>> -1)=(3-1)*(3-1)=2*2=4
>>>
>>> The following is an outline for creating contrasts:
>>> (a) Start simple - difference between levels of 1 factor
>>> (b) Define your null hypothesis: AO=AP=AQ
>>> (c) Make it equal to 0: AO-AP=0 AND AP-AQ=0
>>> (d) Repeat for the other levels of the factor...
>>> BO-BP=0 AND BP-BQ=0
>>> CO-CP=0 AND CP-CQ=0
>>>
>>> (e) Now combine them AO-AP=BO-BP=CO-CP AND AP-AQ=BP-BQ=CP-CQ
>>>
>>> (f) Make them equal to 0:
>>> AO-AP-BO+BP=0
>>> BO-BP-CO+CP=0
>>> AP-AQ-BP+BQ=0