I find the T2w image works well for removing dura and blood vessels, but
I'm not sure FLAIR would work for T1w/T2w myelin mapping because of what
would happen to the ratio near the pial surface.

Instructions for T1w/T2w myelin mapping are available here:
http://brainvis.wustl.edu/wiki/index.php/Caret:MyelinMaps

One starts with FreeSurfer outputs.

Bruce: do you guys have an unsmoothed group average grey/white map?  We
could do a quick comparison on fsaverage if you guys were interested.

Peace,

Matt.