Hi, Josh, I think you can run the autorecon1, subcortseg and no segstats if
you don't want the statistics file (aseg.stats). Also, use -openmp 8 can
speed up quite a lot by multi-threading. For a regular T1 brain image, I
can the running time to get aseg.mgz in about 4-5 hours.

recon-all -i subject autorecon1 -subcortseg -nosegstats -openmp 8

cheers,
Natalie