Higher than 1mm resolution helps a lot.  We use 0.7mm isotropic in the HCP.

Peace,

Matt.

From:  "Megha K." <megha...@gmail.com>
Date:  Monday, December 9, 2013 10:23 PM
To:  <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Subject:  [Freesurfer] Occipital cortex segmentation

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am using freesurfer for 3T MRI analysis of visual cortical thickness in
elderly patients with ophthalmic disease. We are having a bit of trouble
with the accuracy of cortical segmentation in the visual cortex (namely the
pericalcarine region) as the cortex is quite thin in our patients (compared
to controls). You can see in the attached image that whilst there is smooth
cortical segmentation in the peri-calcarine region, the cortex is not
visible to the naked eye.  If you have any ideas on improving accuracy, I
would be very grateful.

Thanks
Megha
in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If
you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail contains
patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLine at
http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in
error but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender
and properly dispose of the e-mail.