Thanks for pointing this binary out- I didn't realize the user could access it
outside of recon-all.
I've
 had a look at the fswiki for mris_sphere and it doesn't seem to be
complete. I used it in the following format but not sure if this is
correct:

mris_sphere -n 160 -w 20 -scale 1 lh.orig lh.sphere_test

 want to check that the above command converts lh.org to a sphere in 160
 iterations, writes out every 20th iteration and ensures the area is
preserved?

Also, on the fswiki site:

I'm
 not certain if <output patch> is synonymous with output surface?
Also, what is the purpose of a <patch file name>? Thanks.