Dear all,

For the evaluation of the subcortical volumes we executed ‘mri_segstats’ on
‘aseg.mgz’ and for comparison on ‘aparc+aseg.mgz’ in a number of individuals.
Apparently the volume of subcortical structures, like the hippocampus, is
calculated as the same values if calculated (without partial volume correction)
from ‘aseg.mgz’ and ‘aparc+aseg.mgz’.
However, when partial volume correction is applied, the resulting values for
e.g. hippocampal volumes differ between the ‘mri_segstats’ calculation for
‘aseg.mgz’ and ‘aparc+aseg.mgz’. How could those differences resulting from the
partial volume correction in these cases be explained?

The command used to calculate the subcortical volumes with partial volume
correction was:
mri_segstats --seg ./mri/aparc+aseg.mgz --ctab
$FREESURFER_HOME/FreeSurferColorLUT.txt --excludeid 0 --sum
./stats/my.test.stats --pv ./mri/norm.mgz

Previously we have been using the subcortical volumes from ‘aseg.stats’, which,
as I understand it, is generated by recon-all from ‘aseg.mgz’ via
‘mri_segstats’ (with partial volume correction).  From your experience, would
it be also valid to use subcortical volumes generated by applying
‘mri_segstats’ (with partial volume correction) on ‘aparc+aseg.mgz’, even
though the resulting values might differ from the values in aseg.stats?

Thank you very much in advance,

Steffi Schreiber