the 2mm slice thickness is going to be problematic and is probably why you
lose so much cortical constrast. Typically we don't recommend using
anything more than 1.5 and really no reason these days not to get closer to
1mm (for example, you can get a very nice 1.25mmx1.25x1mm mprage in a bit
over 2 minutes)