Hi Bruce,

I would like to be able to tell what proportion of a region of interest
(ROI), as defined in atlas space by e.g. Desikan-Killiany, that shows a
significant effect (based on a p-map). For now I overlay the p-map on the
inflated surface of fsaverage in tksurfer and eyeball the proportion.

Given a p-map, if I find the FDR threshold and identify the vertices within
a given ROI that have a p-value greater than the threshold, then I can find
the proportion of the ROI that is suprathreshold. E.g., I find 1986
suprathreshold vertices in "bankssts" out of 2137, so 93% of vertices in
bankssts show a significant effect.

My question is: Does that tell me anything about what proportion of the
ROI's surface area is affected in atlas space? Obviously, if the faces were
uniform, there would be a 1 to 1 relationship between #vertices and area.
In the original tesselation of any dataset the size of the faces is
uniform, but that changes with topology fix and deformation. I assume that
is true also for fsaverage? (so I can't assume [#sig vertices] / [# tot
vertices] == the proportion of the ROI's area that is significant in atlas
space)

I can find the surface area of the suprathreshold region for my sample (or
any subset thereof) by looking at a mean area map. But I'm unsure how to do
that for fsaverage itself? Is there information on regional surface area
directly available? Or would using  getFaceArea.m or getFacesArea.m or
similar functions be a solution?

Thank you!

LMR

Hi Lars,

yes, the size of the faces is initially fixed - we cover the surface of
each segmented wm voxel that borders non wm with 2 triangles. This gets
changed by both the topology correction and the surface deformation. Note
that the fsaverage surface area is less than any individual subject due to
smoothing of the surface, which is why we include a correction factor in
the fsaverage surfaces.

cheers,
Bruce