http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/12505825.html

2) Do I have to include age covariate in that model even if I clearly
> matched the age distribution?

Technically, you do not, but it should be a good idea to do so. You can
try one of these things: (a) use DOSS (fits the same slope to both
groups), or (b) stay with DODS and demean the ages. This is the same as
what you are doing already, but it tests for the difference at the mean
of your group instead of at 0.

Best regards,
Amirhossein Manzouri