Our usual method for electrode localization remains in the patient's space:
co-register post-op MR and CT with pre-op MR brainmask (our reference
space) and snap electrodes to patient's outer pial surface.

My idea was: register the patient's (crappy) brainmask volume to the
"Talairach" fsaverage volume (not surface), which I can correct manually;
use the Talairach.xfm transform to bring the electrodes into that same
fsaverage volume, and then snap the electrodes to fsaverage's outer pial
surface. But that last step I can't perform. I'm aware that the
localization would be pretty inaccurate.

I'll look into what you suggest Marie. In case all else fails, the last
resort is to show the actual post-op MR and CT slices for electrodes of
interest, but that just does not look as appealing as pial surfaces!

--
Pierre Mégevand, MD, PhD
PLOS Neuro Community <http://neuro.plos.org> editor - Follow us on Twitter