Dear Jens,

I can offer just a bit of information and I also have a question.
We are using Fedora 11.0 on an x86_64 box and both the Centos 4 and Centos 6
compiles work.
The package appears to be self-contained as I have seen no faults on failures
to find shared libraries.
We simply untar freesurfer to a convenient location and set the PATH and
FREESURFERHOME environment variables accordingly.
I see no reason why that shouldn't work in a cloud solution except that I do
not know what you have in mind as a use for your solution.
Will there be a group of users who are provided access so that they can run
freesurfer on an image data set through a portal to your cloud?
Are you using the cloud to distribute the calculation to many machines?
If so, what is the "granularity" of this, e.g. does one freesurfer run get one
machine?

Regards,

Don

Don Krieger, Ph.D.