Hi Bruce,
Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Here are some followup questions.
1) The functional volume was PET data and anatomical data have been
processed with Freesurfer. I run the bbregister as:
    bbregister --mov PET.nii --s subject_name --reg register.dat --t1
--init-header
It does not register the PET to anatomical images well. Since PET contrast
does not like the typical t1/t2, I am not sure how to set the "--contrast"
argument (already tried to both t1 and t2). Also, as PET and anatomical are
both in native space, not sure how to set the "--init-"
2) Actually, the PET image has been aligned with orig.mgz well (in the
native space) using a in-house method. The registration matrix likes below:
  0.992629  0.109294  0.052358   10.4812
 -0.102034  0.986829 -0.125525   16.5118
 -0.065387  0.119257  0.990708  -23.4735
  0.000000  0.000000  0.000000    1.0000
I wonder if there is a way that can convert this matrix to a readable
format for "mri_vol2surf".
3) I tried to run mri_vol2surf (using a --regheader option as pet.nii and
orig.mgz already aligning well) as:
mri_vol2surf --mov PET.nii --hemi lh --regheader subject_name --o
lh.pet.mgh. But the results does not look right.
Any suggestions for these questions would be very appreciated!

-Liang