Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 15:31:53 -0500
From: gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
To: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] DODS design and demeaning

    On 12/24/14 5:21 AM, maaike rive wrote:

        Dear Freesurfer experts,

        I would be very greatful if you could help me with
          three (probably basic) questions regarding an mri_glmfit
          design.

        For the design and contrasts I used FSGDF. I have a
          2x2 factorial design with one covariate (age). I specified all
          four groups (A1B1, A1B2, A2B1, A2B2) and the covariate in one
          model, because I would like to test for the interaction
          between A and B (regressing out the effects of age). Age was
          demeaned using the mean of all subjects (i.e. of all 4
          groups).

        My first question regards the contrasts:

        If, besides the interaction and main affects of A
          and B, I would like to assess the difference between
          individual groups, for example A1B1 - A1B2, is it okay to use
          the same model (1 -1 0 0 + further 0's for the age
          regressors); or should I make a new FSGDF containing only the
          subjects of group A1B1 and A1B2?

    It is a tricky question. You will get the same group means
    regardless of whether you combine all subjects or use a 2nd FSGD.
    The difference will be that you will have a much higher DOF if you
    combine them all. This means that the noise in the other subjects
    informs you about the noise in those two groups. If you can justify
    this, then you can leave them combined. If the 2nd model gives you
    the results you want, then reporting that would be a stronger
    scientific result.

        My second question is associated with the first:

        If it is allowed to use the same model, how does
          freesurfer deal withdemeaning? Since I used the mean of all
          subjects to demean and not just of the subjects of for example
          A1B1 and A1B2.

    The demeaning is also tricky. I would actually test whether there is
    an interaction between group and age. If there is no interaction,
    then I would re-run using a DOSS model in which case the demeaning
    won't make a difference.

        My third question regards the DODS/DOSS issue.

        I used DODS, because I do not believe the slopes of
          age by volume (or age by area/thickness) will be exactly
          parallel between groups. I tested this also be using contrasts
          of the age regressors, (for example using the contrast 0 0 0
          0 1 -1 -1 1 for a AxBxage interaction) and indeed there are
          interactions with age in some brain areas. For thickness, they
          were FDR corrected still significant, for other measeurs the
          were not significant after correction, but that seems natural
          given the sample sizes. No I wondered whether it would suffice
          to use a DODS design (since slopes differ between groups) or
          whether I should stratify groups further for age (for example
          use two models, one for young subjects, on for old subjects).
          If the latter is the case, I would end up with very small
          samples, I am afraid.

    If  there is no interaction in the areas that show up in your
    contrast of interest, then it is safe to use DOSS. If there are,
    then I don't think that stratifying them solves the problem.

    doug

        Thanking you in advance,

        Maaike