Francesca,

I looked at the files you sent and replicated the problem.  It is due to
creating your lh.EKppa.annot file using FreeSurferColorLUT.txt as the
colortable file.  You should create your own colortable file, which is
simple to do, and create a new .annot file using that colortable (ie,
the --ctab option in mris_label2annot).

Here is a simple colortable.txt file (just a text file) with four
entries, which in this example, means that you have three annotations.
The first entry must be as it is shown, ie, 'unknown', as this is used
to automatically 'label' all the vertices which do not have a .label
file.

  0  unknown                          25   5  25    0
  1  mylabel1                          0  92  23    0
  2  mylabel2                        131 148 255    0
  3  mylabel3                          0   0 255    0

I fixed the code locally so that it doesn't segfault, and you can get
the new mris_convert here:

ftp://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/pub/dist/freesurfer/patches/freesurfer-Linux-centos6_x86_64-stable-pub-v5.3.0/bin/

but note this does not fix your core problem, it only allows
mris_convert to run to completion and create a valid .annot.gii file.
It will still have strange label names for your annotations (like
"Left_Hippocampus") taken from the embedded FreeSurferColorLUT.

Nick