Hi Bruce,

I chose a random subject from the ADNI dataset and computed the mean and
variance for the left and right hemispheres separately. It looks like the mean
is close to 0, however the variance is not 1. Do you think it is possible that
the surfaces are demeaned, but the units are still something meaningful (i.e.
not unitless)?

sulc = read.table('rh.sulc.asc', header=FALSE, col.names=c('v', 'x', 'y', 'z',
'sulc'))
> mean(sulc$sulc)
[1] -1.236923e-08

> var(sulc$sulc)
[1] 0.3276958

> quantile(sulc$sulc)
      0%      25%      50%      75%     100%
-1.72503 -0.42128 -0.03963  0.40072  1.80980

Thanks again,
Simon

Hi Simon

they are originally mm, but I believe we z-score normalize them so that
the sulc file is 0 mean and unit variance.