Thanks for the confirmation, Bruce.
I've looked at  the other files I spot checked which failed to match.
A bunch of the files in directory surf contain a line at the top like "Created
by nobody on Mon Feb 8 15:13:58 2016"
The mri/transforms/talairach.m3z.inv.?.mgz files contain the pathname of a
.xfm file.
I'm pretty confident now that we are getting the same results from all the runs
but I want write something to check systematically.

Best - Don