Hi Michael - Even if it starts very close to the true max of the distribution, in practice it'll never stay put. MCMC will accept a new sample path with probability 1 if the new sample has greater probability than the previous sample, and it will also accept it with some very small probability if it doesn't. This means that it'll still explore the space around the max, even if it ends up returning to the max pretty quickly. So most likely there's something weird about the initial path if it doesn't move at all.

Best,

a.y