actually I had forgotten that we described the basic surface deformation to avoid dura in Andre's paper, which is what I first wrote it for:

2008 Brain morphometry with multiecho MPRAGE. van der Kouwe, Andre J W; Benner, Thomas; Salat, David H and Fischl, Bruce NeuroImage, 2008.

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016, Bruce Fischl wrote:

Hi Matt

I don't think that counts as a methods paper for the T2-based deformation. There is no validation or comparison with other methods in it, and really not enough detail to replicate what we did.