Hi Brad,

I don't have any experience with your first issue, but with regards to your
second issue: are you running Windows10 as the host OS and Ubuntu as the
guest OS?  Ubuntu requires root (or admin) access to install packages.  If
you installed Ubuntu yourself, it should have prompted you to create a
username and password.  That password should have root privileges.  If you
obtained the VM from someone else, I'd ask them what the root password is.

-Paul