Ok this is a known issue with the
freesurfer-Darwin-lion-stable-pub-v5.3.0 release. Please download a copy
of mris_resample from the following link and copy it into your
FREESURFER_HOME/bin directory. Also, make sure it is executable (chmod
+a mris_resample)

ftp://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/pub/dist/freesurfer/patches/mris_resample

-Zeke