From:  <freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> on behalf of Antonin Skoch
<a...@ikem.cz>
Date:  Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 3:31 PM
To:  <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Subject:  Re: [Freesurfer] freesufer v6 beta - T2 pial refinement
performance and nsigma_below setting

Dear experts,

given sub-optimal results of my surfaces I referred to in my previous post,
I have tested several different settings and input data preparation to
obtain optimal pial surfaces in my modified HCP pipeline. I tested all
variants in 5 representative subjects.

My modified HCP pipeline uses FreeSurfer V6beta and full hires recon (-cm
option) with 0.7mm3 data (including FreeSurferHiResWhite.sh and
FreeSurferHiResPial.sh where effectively no up and downsampling is done
since all steps are done in original 0.7 mm3 resolution).

I have played with input data and parameters of 2nd pass mris_make_surfaces
-T2pial in FreeSurferHiResPial.sh
Since FreeSurferHiResPial.sh does not use aseg-informed and white
surface-informed normalization and brain masking of T2 (which is default in
recon-all), I also tested performance of this option (using commands
borrowed from recon-all -T2pial). Since -nsigma_below 3 (default in
FreeSurferHiResPial.sh) with combination of freeSurfer V6beta version of
mris_make_surfaces cuts out some portions of gray matter in my data (in
contrast to FreeSurfer 5.3 version where it seems that nsigma_below 3
suffices!), I increased -nsigma_below to 5 (which is default value used in
recon-all -T2pial).

My tested versions were following:
For modified full hires HCP pipeline with FreeSurfer V6beta:
1. -nsigma_below 3 (original FreeSurferHiResPial.sh)
2. -nsigma_below 5
3. -nsigma_below 5 with additional masking of T2 by brainmask.mgz
4. -nsigma_below 5 with aseg-informed normalization of T2 (using
mri_normalize)
5. -nsigma_below 5 with aseg-informed normalization of T2 (using
mri_normalize) and masking of T2 by brainmask.mgz

And, as Matt suggested, I also tried:
6. standard FreeSurfer V6 beta recon-all -pial and -T2pial (apart from
standard recon-all I used as ?h.white input the output of
FreeSurferHiResWhite.sh , but I think it should not matter in this context).

My observations are following:

It is definitely needed to increase -nsigma_below from 3 due to significant
cut out of portions of gray matter in some regions, in some subjects these
regions are very large.

Increase nsigma_below to 5 prevents cutting out of gray matter, however it
leads to leak of surfaces to cerebellum (as I showed in my previous post)
for all my versions (to varying extent). I am not sure how much significant
the extend of error is, looking subjective it seems significant, but
accounting the fact that the data is of high resolution, the maximal error
would be approx. 2 mm.

-nsigma_below 5 with aseg-informed normalization does not work well in some
areas and results in cutting out gray matter in some regions (but not to
such great extend as in nsigma_below 3)

FreeSurfer V6beta tends in some (not very large) areas to cut out gray
matter. On the other hand, in some areas and in some subjects it produces
largest leak of surfaces to dura and cerebellum from all my tested versions.

mri_normalize of T2 has in some regions  sub-optimal performance on pial
surface estimation and actually performs worse than global (no aseg-informed
and no white surface-informed) normalization ( especially at temporal poles,
but also in some areas at convexity).

I have indecisive results with masking. In some subjects it had almost no
effect, in one subject it definitely improved the leak to dura, but in some
subjects the results were quite opposite. I am not sure why the masking
should matter since the mask is larger than the regions where the surfaces
are extending, but I am not very familiar with internals of
mris_make_surfaces (the masked T2 maybe after internal smoothing in
mris_make_surfaces can propagate the voxel values even to regions relevant
for surface estimation). Therefore I would tend to use the masking.

Overall best results (better than with V6beta recon-all) I obtained with
-nsigma_below 5 with global (no aseg-informed and white surface-informed)
normalization of T2 as it is done in FreeSurferHiResPial.sh.

My overall impresion: I was quite frustrated to observe, how much the
results are dependent on particular setting of the parameters and input
data. But maybe my expectations of accuracy of surfaces were unrealistically
high....

Regards,

Antonin
in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If
you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail contains
patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLine at
http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in
error but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender
and properly dispose of the e-mail.