You are correct that the former is true.

Run recon-all -all on your existing subject directories after moving them
to a new v6 directory (with the new fsaverage, etc.) -- it will rerun all
the commands and use your brainmask.mgz deleted voxels, and your wm.mgz 255
voxels to correct the surfaces.

You will still need to open your subjects up in tkmedit or freeview and
inspect the surfaces for errors.