I¹d note that you can run the group ICA on surface data in surface space
pretty easily using melodic, which would avoid the issue that Doug mentions.

Peace,

Matt.

From:  <freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> on behalf of Douglas Greve
<gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Date:  Monday, October 9, 2017 at 7:20 PM
To:  <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Subject:  Re: [Freesurfer] Transformation between spaces

How did you get your ICA analysis into MNI305 (or MNI152) space?  You're ICA
intergroup comparisons will only be as good as that space -- how you get it
onto the surface from there is not so important. You can run recon-all on
the MNI152, sample the ICA maps onto the surface, then use the surface-based
registration to map it to fsaverage.

On 10/9/17 7:20 PM, Florence Campana wrote:

> Dear freesurfer experts,
>

> I ran a spatial ICA in volume and would like to visualize the components in
> surface in order to assess the overlap between the  independent components and
> my ROI (defined on surface). However after reading this paper,
> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2862732/, I am  concerned with
> transformations between the MNI 305 space and the surface space without
> totally understanding the nature of the distortions unfortunately. Would you
> mind explaining it briefly to me and let me know whether you think that the
> transformation of the components from the MNI305 space to the surface will
> lead to distorted results in the case of our spatial overlap estimates? (in
> which case I can define the ROI in volume and conduct all the analyses in
> volume).
>

> Thank you very much,
>
> Florence Campana

in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If
you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail contains
patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLine at
http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in
error but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender
and properly dispose of the e-mail.