Hello,

I am trying to understand the preprocessing functions to successfully complete
surface-based analysis. I am confused about what is happening on the volume
level and when exactly the surface is being created. My questions revolve
around register-sess and rawfunc2surf-sess.

Registration has 2 parts:
1: the native anatomical space is registered with the fsaverage space. This is
happening during recon-all.
2: native functional data is registered with the native anatomical data. This
is happening during register-sess in preprocess-sess.
Aren’t these both volume-based registrations? If not when are the surfaces
created? My concern is that it is volume-based and I was under the impression
from this article:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2862732/ ,
that all registrations should be done on the surface.

I am also confused about rawfunc2surf-sess. I believe up until this function in
preprocess-sess, everything has been done in the volume so this is the first
step that is done in the surface, is that correct? And then does this do
smoothing? I realized it has a fwhm input option so it must smooth. So is this
where the functional data is now expressed in the surface and it also smooths?
Or does surfsmooth-sess need to be run in addition to rawfunc2surf-sess?

I basically just want to be making sure I understand when registration is
volume-based or surface-based and when it’s appropriate to use volume-based.
And I was using the rawfunc2surf function assuming it was for smoothing, but I
am not so sure if this only creates the surface or also smooths.

Thanks,
Alissa