Hello Freesurfer experts,

I have two longitudinal datasets. In each dataset, some participants have only
a single timepoint. For this reason, I aim to run the Linear Mixed Effects
(LME) Model described at
https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/LinearMixedEffectsModels.

I understand that it is recommended that before running LME, I process my data
using the longitudinal stream (e.g.,
https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/LongitudinalProcessing). However:

1. in one dataset, some participants were scanned several years apart in early
childhood, which caused the intra-subject registration to fail in the
longitudinal processing stream

and

2. in the second dataset, editing of longitudinal timepoints was time
prohibitive - several hours of edits were spent per brain at the
cross-sectional level due to the use of an older sub-optimal pulse sequence.
And, several more hours are required for the editing of each base or
longitudinal timepoint.

Given each of these circumstances, is it feasible/appropriate to run LME using
data that was not initially processed using the longitudinal processing stream
within Freesurfer?

Thanks in advance!
Lara

Lara Foland-Ross, Ph.D.
Research Associate and Imaging Lab Manager
Center for Interdisciplinary Brain Sciences Research
Stanford University School of Medicine
401 Quarry Road, Room 1356
Stanford, CA 94305-5795