Hi Elizabeth

I guess it could help by removing a feature that is variable across subjects so things like the talairach transform are more stable

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017, Buimer, E.E.L. wrote:

Dear FreeSurfer experts,

We want to implement a deface method to ensure anonymity of participants before
making the data available to researchers.
Because the raw data is stored on the imaging platform XNAT, we preferred the
mask_face method implemented on
the XNAT server rather than FreeSurfer’s defacing. However, we will be using
FreeSurfer for processing and segmentations
afterwards. I am currently investigating the effect of face and earmasks on
brain measures. I used FreeSurfer v5.3
(freesurfer-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-stable5-20130513) and the mask_face function
developed for XNAT (Milchienko & Marcus,
2013) with the default normalized filter. The masks were not invasive and did
not overlap with brain tissue.

I compared output of the recon-all between T1 scans with and without masked
face for a small sample. I found high
correlations between the output of the two scans (extracted values: cortical
thickness, surface area, (sub)cortical
volume, global values). Slight differences seem to occur from the start of the
recon-all (talairach transform). Adding ear
masks to the face-masked scans, made the differences smaller (i.e. higher
correlations with raw scans). Also, the
recon-all run time appears to be reduced.

Could you explain how face and ear information is used in the recon-all and why
adding ear masks to masked-face scans
might reduce run-time and improve reliability? Could it be the case that skull
stripping is easier without ears for
example?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Buimer, Research Assistant

Department of Psychiatry, UMC Utrecht

Room: A.01.161

e.e.l.bui...@umcutrecht.nl

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht kan vertrouwelijk zijn en is uitsluitend
bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u
dit bericht onterecht ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken en
de afzender direct te informeren door het
bericht te retourneren. Het Universitair Medisch Centrum Utrecht is een
publiekrechtelijke rechtspersoon in de zin van de
W.H.W. (Wet Hoger Onderwijs en Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek) en staat
geregistreerd bij de Kamer van Koophandel voor
Midden-Nederland onder nr. 30244197.

Denk s.v.p aan het milieu voor u deze e-mail afdrukt.

This message may contain confidential information and is intended exclusively
for the addressee. If you receive this
message unintentionally, please do not use the contents but notify the sender
immediately by return e-mail. University
Medical Center Utrecht is a legal person by public law and is registered at the
Chamber of Commerce for Midden-Nederland
under no. 30244197.